Bringing the Outside In.
The Job: Bring the Outside into this Canmore Condo
Design by Katherine Williams Interiors, with execution by Elspeth Interiors
This project was a top to bottom undertaking on a renovated condominium nestled underneath the majestic 3 Sisters Peaks in Canmore. The goal with this particular venture was to bring the outside beauty of the mountains into the interior of the house through custom made window coverings and décor.
In the Master Bedroom, great care was taken to maximize the gorgeous view of the outside greenery and hillside vistas, while tying the beauty of the outdoors into the space. Elspeth accomplished this by:
- The floor to ceiling sliding patio door was dressed using one-way draw pure linen drapes, hung from a corded channel rod
- The interior furnishings were co-ordinated not just with the indoor space but with the outdoor aesthetic
- Custom headboard in a Belgian linen stripe and a luxurious down duvet
- Specially-made Percale pillows and bedlinens with flanged pillow shams
- Bright toss pillows completed the design of the room and added a punch of colour to the décor
A smaller second bedroom in the condo did not have much floor space, but had two windows which met at the corner, which let in a lot of light. The goal of the design for this room was to utilize the abundance of natural light and make best use of the compact space.
- Room darkening linen Roman Shades were mounted inside the window frame and were co-ordinated to match the bedding and décor
- A tailored double pocket panel on spring tension rods was positioned across the window in the ensuite, addressing the need for natural light and privacy while still optimizing the view from the shower.
Throughout the main floor, window coverings, linen, and furniture was blended artfully to create a unified and comfortable space through the use of operative Roman blinds, woven wood blinds, and toss pillows.
- Remote-controlled screen shades were installed throughout the house
- A hand-drawn pair of drapes was placed over the sliding door, and matching fabric Roman blinds were made in a cream pinstripe cotton-linen blend
- All bedding and linen used on the furniture were hotel quality, carefully selected and crafted with fitted sheet pockets in order to fit over the thinner sleeper sofa mattresses snugly
- The sofa and 1 ½ sleeper chairs were the perfect answer to the limited space while still accommodating friends and family
Photos by Derrell Wyshinski Photography.